By day I am an Environmental Scientist with a Saskatoon-based consulting firm, working with mining clients in Saskatchewan, across Canada, and Internationally to understand the long-term impacts of their operations on the surrounding environments. Specifically, I specialize in the geochemistry of mining material storage (tailings, waste rock, overburden, etc..).
- B.Sc. from University of Guelph (2002)
- M.Sc. from University of New Brunswick (2005)
- Ph.D. from University of Saskatchewan (2009)
By night I am actively involved in the Saskatoon community on a variety of environmental and urban issues.
- Chair & Co-founder, Nuit Blanche Saskatoon (a free, nighttime, festival celebrating art and culture in Saskatoon);
- Board Member and Past-Chair, Quint Developments Inc. Board of Directors (a local community economic development agency dedicated to improving housing and employment opportunities in Saskatoon’s core neighbourhoods);
- Board Member, Past-President and co-Founder, Saskatoon Cycles (a local non-profit organization dedicated to safer cycling in Saskatoon);
- Coordinator, Better Bike Lanes Campaign (a grassroots initiative to build Saskatoon’s first separated bike lanes – aka cycle tracks – in the downtown core)
- Past Chair and Board Member, Saskatoon Environmental Advisory Committee (SEAC – a citizen advisory group for Saskatoon City Council), and
- Candidate for Saskatoon City Council (2009, 2012)
- Contributor/Host, OurYXE.ca – a website and podcast dedicated to the in-depth examination of political and city-building issues facing Saskatoon and Saskatchewan;
- Columnist, Planet S Magazine – offering up views and opinions on urban and political issues of the day in Saskatoon and Saskatchewan, and
- Commentator, radio and television – frequent guest on local programs to discuss local issues, including environment, politics, and urban issues.